If like me you’re silly enough to lock yourself out of WinRM by removing Kerberos and Negotiate authentication from the WinRM client, you’ll find it a bit difficult to reset the WinRM configuration, because WinRM uses itself to modify the configuration and reset itself (winrm invoke restore).
I wasn’t particularly interested in performing a restore on my laptop, so I went hunting for the registry location for WinRM’s client configuration. The best TechNet could provide me with was “The configuration information is stored in the registry” which is pretty crap, even by Microsoft’s standards.
Resorting to a registry search – thankfully I had added the remote end to the TrustedHosts list – I came up with the registry location:
Setting auth_kerberos and auth_negotiate to 1
and restarting the Windows Remote Management (WS-Management) service got me up and going again.