In one of my recent SBS 2008 migrations a user complained that Word and Excel documents could take up to several minutes for the documents to open from a network drive mapped to a DFS share. His laptop was the only Windows Vista machine on the local network at the time.
My initial thought was that IPv6 lookups were stalling the opening of the documents, so I got the user to disable IPv6 according to MSKB 929852. This didn't work.
I remoted in to his laptop and had a look. I got varying load times, from 15 seconds to several minutes irrespective of file size.
I reverted to my old debugging method - opening the file in Notepad. Instant. Every time.
OK, must be a dodgy hotfix. None installed since the problem exhibited itself. OK, someone out in the Intarweb must have experienced this. My Google-fu isn't too bad, but I couldn't find anyone with the exact same problem. This TechArea post on slow DFS access was the reverse to what I was seeing, so I changed the NetBIOS reference (e.g. \\DOMAIN\DFS\Share) to a FQDN reference (\\corp.domain.com\DFS\Share).
Bingo - load times were back to normal!
I've now got a note to migrate all my DFS references from using the NetBIOS name to using the FQDN name prior to any Windows Server 2008 migrations.