- Download Exmerge from Microsoft
- Follow the instructions in MSKB 292509 to create a group that will allow the Administrator account to read/write mailbox data
- Open Exchange System Manager, expand Servers. Right-click on <server name> under Servers. Select New > Recovery Storage Group...
- Enter in a name for the RSG and also the file locations. The defaults are fine. Click OK
- Right-click on the Recovery Storage Group object.
- Choose Add Databases to Recover…
- Highlight the Mailbox Store (the one to be restored).
- Enable This Database can be overwritten by a restore
- Run NTBackup, select Restore and Manage Media, find the correct media, expand the Exchange Information Store and select Logs and Mailbox Store.
- Click Start Restore, Restore to <server name>, and set the Temporary location to the file location used to create the Recovery Storage Group. Enable Last Restore Set.
- After the database has been restored, mount the Recovery Storage Group database using Exchange Server Manager.
- Run Exmerge and select Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure).
- Select Step 1.
- Enter in <server name> for Exchange Server Name.
- Select Recovery Storage Group database.
- Select Mailbox to recover.
- Select Folder location to save .PST files to.
- Start ExMerge, click Next
- Choose Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure)
- Pick Step 2: Import data into an Exchange Server Mailbox
- Again type the name of your Exchange server then click Next
- Mark the mailboxes you want to merge, click Next twice
- Specify where the .PST files should be merged from and click Next
- Check mailbox data, then Dismount RSG database and remove files from the RSG file location
- You're done!
Friday, July 21, 2006
Exchange Server 2003 Mailbox Recovery Using Recovery Storage Groups, NTBackup and Exmerge
OK, this is my quick-n-dirty guide to recovering a mailbox from an Exchange 2003 system. I'll tidy it up later.